Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Israel is starting to feel more like home.

As the days have progressed and I've started to sleep more than one hour each night, the Holy Land has become more familiar to me in body and in spirit.

Our apartment is looking better each day, with all the repairs that should have taken place before we arrived getting done now. Lauren and I spent several bundles of shekels at the Malcha Mall (largest mall in the Middle East, mind you) on home stuff and appliances. Our place is lookin' good! Pictures are coming soon.

Adam and I have taken beautiful "discovery" walks in our neighborhood and environs. We found a lovely little street a block up from ours with a fantastically talented laundry guy (his folding skills are truly inspiring) and a Kosher pizza place with an abundance of kitschy American posters. Plus, an overpriced hair salon. Always a sign you're living in a nice place.

I haven't really been able to process my feelings about Jerusalem, and Israel in general, since I've arrived. I'm starting to get little reactions to things, attempting to fold them away in the back of my mind for a later blog post. But (un)fortunately, I have been surrounded by English and North America and gentrified restaurants thus far. The extended Israel I've seen has been washed away by my anxiety and frustration over moving. I can't wait to be fully, completely settled so these blog posts can be more about the country, and less about my longing for some semblance of normalcy. So keep in mind, those entries are forthcoming.

As I've spent more time with people in the program, I've grown more and more impressed with my future colleagues. From the small experiences I've had, I've gathered that nearly everyone seems to be truly good-hearted, affable, personable, and kind. There is a definite abundance of younger Jews, especially those just out of college. I can't wait to get to know more people and hear what drove them to such a unique profession as this.

I still get a little teary-eyed when I think of the life we left behind in the Bay Area. I miss my family tremendously, (Skype-ing with all three of them two nights ago was a hoot) but more than anything else I just miss our apartment, and our life in the Gourmet Ghetto. I miss my jobs at the synagogues, I miss my kids, I miss the glorious beauty of the Berkeley hills, and I miss the familiarity of our life there. It pains me to think we'll never have that life again. Even though I know we have an amazing life ahead of us, it's hard to look back on something wonderful knowing it will never be exactly the same.

Le sigh.

Adam is still being absolutely, incredibly wonderful. I cannot believe how quickly and painlessly he adjusted, how personable and outgoing he's been with my classmates, and how devoted he has been as a partner. He stayed home all day yesterday to set up our internet and supervise the apartment repairs, all the while having a smile planted firmly on his face. He's won over the hearts of all those I've socialized with, having impressed them with his cooking, his animation, and his guitar playing. I look at him and feel so fortunate, so blessed, to have him in my life.

Peace from the Middle East.

-Jaclyn

1 comment:

Sadie said...

You are lucky and blessed in so many ways...i see it and hear it in your writing sweet J.

What a wonderful adventure you are embarking on...

xx s&d