Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The journey officially begins

Today marked the official beginning of our Year-in-Israel Orientation.

It also marked the "end" of the Lebanon War, with the bodies of two Israeli soldiers being returned to their families, and the release of Palestinian and Lebanese militants to their home countries as well.

To be here in this country and starting this adventure on this particular day in Israel's history is poignant, powerful, and incredibly emotional. When we were told around 11am this morning that the soldiers were returning in coffins, as had been predicted by a vast majority of Israelis, it felt like someone had punched me in the gut. The entire room of students took a collective gasp; our professors looked solemn and teary-eyed. And then, we continued our discussion about safety and security in this complex country that is Israel.

To read the news online from thousands of miles away is very different than actually being here and feeling the atmosphere of the country on a day like today. Israel is so small, so connected. The pain of the two families is the pain of the majority of the country. The frustrations and fears about future political shifts and changes are shared by everyone. It's such a different feeling than reading the paper in Berkeley, California about how someone from Yuma, Arizona died in Iraq. It just doesn't equate for me. There isn't the same weight or relevance. Which, I must admit, is a little bit pathetic. And something I wish to change.

The events of today further solidify my belief that this year in Israel is indeed a wonderful experiment and a necessary part of becoming a rabbi. Though I cringe at many of the decisions made by the Israeli government, and though at times I am incredibly frustrated by the way people in this country live and interact, there is something very pertinent about being here and experiencing a year in the life of Israel. Though it is terrifying at times to think about what "could happen" here, it's also helping me get through my ever-present tendency toward paranoia. It's helping me grow just to be here and see and live and breathe Israel.

What I think is so beautiful and incredible about this year is the very notion that its purpose is to remove us from our comfort zone. It's aim is to place us at the center of many different kinds of wars and get us to survive and hopefully thrive through them. Later on in our careers we will undoubtedly be faced with a litany of tough situations. I know that this year will give us the strength and knowledge to make it through a career in the unique profession of being clergy.

It pains me to think of the life I left behind, the celebrations and events I will miss, the changes and developments that will occur in our families, our social circles, and especially our country, and the human beings that have made such an impact on my becoming who I am. Yet I know that this year will be one of such immesurable growth. I know this year will be one of incredible adventures. And I praise Hashem for the geniuses that created Facebook, Skype, and Gchat. Even while 6,000 miles from California, it warms the cockels of my heart to know that my friends and family are only an electric current away.

Back to the orientation... our day continued with further discussions about our hopes and expectations, our fears and concerns. Speaking with my fellow students regarding our similar feelings starting this program, it felt both incredibly comforting and oddly gratifying to know that we are all, for the most part, on the same page about this year, and about Israel. Each of us acknowledges the complexities and challenges of the Jewish state, and the frustrations that accompany its politics. Where this will lead, I do not know. But I am thrilled to begin the year with respectful and tolerant dialogue.

I have grown to have a deep appreciation for my fellow classmates and future colleagues. I simply cannot believe how respectful and kind everyone has been since the very beginning. Every single person comes from a different background, yet there is a tremendous feeling of respect amongst the class. People have been incredibly welcoming to the small group of SOs, and Adam has quickly found himself a niche here. It's wonderful to observe and partake in.

Today's orientation concluded with us reading the T'filat Haderech, or Traveler's Prayer. I want to share with you the words of this prayer, as they had a tremendous impact on me as I read them today.

May it be Your will, our God and God of our ancestors
that You lead us in peace and help us reach our destination alive,
joyfully and peacefully.
May You protect us on our leaving and on our return,
and rescue us from any harm,
and may You bless the work of our hands,
and may our deeds merit honor for You.
Praise to You, Adonai, Protector of Israel.

I miss you all.

Love,
Jaclyn

4 comments:

Empty Nesters said...

Your words and the ending prayer left me in tears...thank you for giving us such a beautifully written window into your life in J.Lem...we miss you beyond words and already see how much you have grown. Love you 4ever.

paula/jack said...

Dearest Jaclyn,
I was not able to see you before you left, maybe that was also meant to be. Reading your "blog" entries refreshed my beautiful thoughts of you and has made me tremendously proud of you. As you embark on this magical and magnificent journey, how amazing that are are able to capture these moments as a record of being in Eretz Yisrael and allow all of us to live them with you.
Drink in everything, absorb and learn from your teachers, colleagues, and Israel...
With love, Paula

EmKap said...

You certainly know how to bring us in and make us feel like we're there with you! Sounds like quite an intense day, but how powerful and significant it must have felt. I'm thinking of you and sending you my love from the states. Keep doing what you're doing!! XoXo.

Jordan said...

jaclyn
finally got a chance to sit down and read your blog. your words are simply beautiful - you are a wonderful writer, and the ending prayer did leave me with little tears - je suis d'accord avec ta mere. i am really proud of you and so excited about everything u will learn. stay safe my dear
much love
jordan