Saturday, October 11, 2008

High Holiday Reflections

Well, the High Holidays came and went, as I expected they would. And though some elements were very powerful, I was left with an Almighty Feeling of Blah as the last moments of Yom Kippur petered out; as cars returned to the roads and people returned to their kitchens.

As a whole, Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur in Jerusalem are two very unforgettable experiences. The city literally shuts down for both days, though YK is its own bag of tricks when it comes to city abandonment. On these two holidays, every Jew is in shul, or walking to shul, or getting ready to go to shul. The entire city becomes captivated by a specific moment in Jewish time. That, in and of itself, is amazing to behold.

The normally packed intersection of Ramban and King George on Yom Kippur: people taking to the streets, and not a car in sight.

Services were just a bit disappointing this year, and that was an unavoidable letdown. I expected more from them; more engagement, more participation, more warmth. Instead, prayer was cold and disjointed, peppered with moments of holiness and excitement. It was indeed a great experience to hear my friends sing, and to pray with the walls of the Old City directly in front of me. But I wasn't all that moved by services; I was moved instead by my own memories, my own private prayer, and my own internal reflections whilst praying with a group of Reform Jews.

Simply "being" here during the High Holidays was a different story, though. I had so many communal meals; festive and delicious gatherings of HUC peers and new friends. And that in and of itself was great. I had a fabulous time simply "being;" focusing my entire presence on living and soaking in High Holidays celebration in its different capacities.


With Meredith and Joel at Leslie's Rosh Hashanah 2nd day dinner

HUC students sure can cook!


Squeezing in every last ounce of fun at 11 Ramban's break fast

Perhaps the most meaningful component of my High Holidays experience was taking a long afternoon walk, meditating, and writing on Yom Kippur. After four hours of being preached at during morning services, I was just plain old done. So, I set out on a journey, armed with only my thoughts, some paper and pen, and just thought. I thought about what I want out of this year, and where I could have been a better human being last year. I meditated and pondered what I want for myself and those I love. Thinking about the future, my career, my relationship, friendships, and that which has yet to be, was cathartic. It truly reconnected me with my reason for being here.


Yom Kippur sunset on Ramban.

And finally, I will say that the silence on Yom Kippur is astounding. I knew leading up to it that would be the case, but the reality of having not a single car on the road for twenty four hours was incredible. Nothing, absolutely nothing, was open. People walked in the streets, hurrying to shul or to their own private celebrations. It was really a marvelous thing to participate in, and I'm glad I got to experience that very infamous Israeli moment in time.

Until next blog,

Jaclyn

No comments: