Thursday, November 13, 2008

Barack and Berlin

OBAAAAAMAAA!!!!

Shalom, my faithful readers!

First, an apology. So many wonderful things have happened the past few weeks, and I bet you thought I was too cool to write about them. And I was.

But I have since developed a bit of humility, and am now ready to relay to you all the thoughts and feelings and emotions and pictures that have captured world events of the last few weeks.

Let us begin with Halloween. For those of you not hooked up to Facebook, I dressed up as Sarah Palin. I won the HUC costume contest. I pretty much rocked everyone's socks. And I believe Obama's victory was one hundred percent due to my incredible costume.


I can see Russia from my house!

A few days later, in our early hours of November 5 I, along with three HUC friends, departed for Berlin, Germany on a four day conference. Called "Lech Lecha: Jewish Journeys," it brought together progressive Jews from Europe and Israel to learn, pray, commemorate, and be Jewish. It was an amazing experience in its own right, but the fact that it began with us watching election returns at Ben Gurion Airport and witnessing (along with the rest of the world) as Barack Obama was elected 44th President of the United States; well, that made it incredible.

Tears of joy for Obama.

It is really and truly hard for me, a woman rarely rendered speechless, to fully put into words what I felt when the political pundits of Fox News (of all stations!) proclaimed Obama the victor. Though it wasn't exactly a surprise, the reality of it; actually watching the moment with my own eyes, gave me a feeling of genuine joy I have not ever experienced in my life. It was elation, happiness, relief, excitment, and hope rolled all into one. I cried on the phone to Adam and my mother. I hugged my friends and danced in the terminal. It was a moment of sublime happiness, and I'll never forget that moment.

We arrived in Berlin to a world that seemed a bit different; happier, lighter, and more optimistic. I asked so many people how they felt about Obama winning, and every person responded the same way: "It's great! No more Bush!" Some said they thought Obama represented a new kind of America, that it was great so many people supported him, and how happy they were to have a new "political family" in the White House. Others suggested that Obama will be positive for the international community, that his ideas are better and more in touch with what the world needs. It was certainly the talk of the conference, and I was incredibly proud to refer to myself as hailing from "the United States of Obama."

So, yeah. That was pretty awesome.


Brandenburg Tor (gate) at the center of the city.

So... Berlin. What a city. It is both progressively modern and totally haunted by its past. Walking around, you feel that something truly awful happened there. I don't know how to explain it. At the same time, I could see myself living in Berlin. It was beautiful, well-designed, clean, efficient, (the buses were early, people) and altogether Western-influenced. There's also some really amazing culture there, from the art museums to live performances to gorgeous street graffiti. It's a throbbing city, full of new life and energy, yet still trying to redeem itself for the crimes of its past.

It's interesting to note that the people were either ridiculously friendly, or I've been in Israel so long that a smile and "hello" seemed like overt hospitality! Really, the people were delightful. I never felt uncomfortable, I always felt welcome. It was a happy respite from the attitude and coldness of Israeli culture.

We managed to do some sightseeing, which was both fun and exciting and yet totally painful. The Reichstag, Holocaust Memorial, Checkpoint Charlie, and Berlin Wall were so moving; you really see this city for what it was. We all needed to just sit down and have a beer after several hours of fierce emotional tourism. But all in all, it's a really amazing place to visit and experience. I highly recommend it.

With fellow HUCsters at the Reform Synagogue of Berlin

The conference itself was wonderful. Though the content wasn't highly intellectual, it was a fabulous experience. I met people from all over Europe and the UK. They were involved, progressive Jews and leaders within their communities. They wanted to create an active Jewish environment for them and their friends; essentially hoping to rebuild communities destroyed by the Shoah. It was true heroism, and I feel fortunate to have met with them, talked with them, and heard their stories. As with most conferences I've attended, the real meat of the gathering occurs outside the lectures and meetings. It was there that I developed a new understanding and appreciation for European Jews.


With Adam's Uncle Tom and Aunt Lilka at Jaffa Gate in Jlem

Finally, just to go totally out of order, I had a wonderful visit with Adam's aunt and uncle the night I left for Germany. It was so lovely to see them, and to be reminded of the people I love back home. Though I knew I loved my people before I left, the distance has made my heart grow so much fonder. I miss all of you so deeply and cannot wait til the day I can hug you again.

Sending you so much love from Jerusalem,

Jaclyn

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

you completed captured how i felt about berlin in a way ive been trying to since i visited in march.

xoxo
steph

Sadie said...

I love catching up with you via blogs...and catching up with your current wardrobe as well. THAT IS AN AMAZING COAT. There is no way you can freeze in that guy...
Can't believe you are coming back for a visit sooooo sooon!

xx sadichko