Saturday, April 4, 2009

Desert Rosenbloom



Here's a confession: I love the desert. 

It's kind of an unexpected thing, I know. I don't seem like the desolate-landscape-sand-and-sun-and-extreme-temperatures type. But I really do love the solitude and beauty of the desert, and that stems from my first encounter with the Negev on my NFTY trip back in 2000. I vividly remember sleeping out under the stars - the millions of bright, beautiful stars - and hiking through a haunting, candlelit canyon at night. It was peaceful and quiet and gorgeous, and I loved it.

This past weekend HUC took us on a tiyul to the Negev, and it was fabulous. It came right on the heels of my fantastic French adventure, so I basically got one entire week off, and that is always awesome. 


Photo Credit: Sir Ari Lorge 

We stayed on Kibbutz Yahel, which is associated with the Reform Movement. It's a great, mellow place. The people who live there now mostly came to Israel from the States back in the 1970s - when the Kibbutzim really hit their stride. Many of them were active in NFTY and their own Jewish communities, and decided that life was more enticing on a kibbutz in the middle of the desert. They were all good-hearted people, if just a little bit strange. Life just moves slower on Kibbutzim, and Kibbutzniks are a special, unique breed. (In a good way)  


In the Kibbutz Lotan organic garden.

We also had the pleasure of visiting Kibbutz Lotan, just down the road from Yahel. It's a truly unique place, and their entire emphasis is on sustainable eco-living. They use water-free toilets and live in green-friendly bio-domes. They have a Green Apprenticeship program, which teaches people how to live green-er, and take better care of the Earth. It's really a fascinating thing to observe and visit, though I don't think I could ever live there. 

Solar-powered oven!

At Kibbutz Lotan, we were given a presentation by a certain Kibbutz member who grew up in California and went to Berkeley. I think he was attempting a campaign for making aliyah, but his entire speech came off insulting and condascending. I looked around and realized that almost every single face was unified in a look of both disgust and "hell-no-I-won't!" It was interesting to observe how we each reacted and recoiled both to the idea of totally uprooting ourselves and committing to a permanent life in Israel, or even in the desert. However, after the presentation we all agreed we have the utmost respect for people who can sustain that kind of lifestyle. I guess that's where the line lays: if you can come away with a degree of respect, yet know it's not for you, I guess that's pretty mature. Or maybe just progressive.


A little eco-dome hut. 

All in all, it was a great tiyul. It was fascinating to visit the Kibbutzim, it was incredible to see what they're doing down there, and it was so relaxing to just veg out in the desert. I'm glad I went, I'm glad the weather was awesome, and I'm glad to share the pictures with you. 

Somehow, I've reached the point in my journey where the parents have arrived, Pesach is around the corner, and I am looking ahead at seven weeks left in Israel. It's nothing! I cannot believe it. It feels like only yesterday I first arrived in this apartment and freaked out about this new life in Israel. Yet it also feels like nine years have passed, aging me to the point of no return. It's great to have the parents here again, together, and I look forward to five days in Greece next week. Not to mention my first (and presumably, only) time in Israel for Pesach. I'm excited. 

Lots of Love, and Chag Sameach!

Jaclyn

No comments: