Monday, June 16, 2008

Because (They) Loved (Us)

Adam and I have both received a tremendous outpouring of love and support the past few weeks. It's been so heartfelt, so kind, and so honest. I thank you, our dear friends and family, for enriching our lives and filling it with love. It's tough to leave, but we'll be back soon! I promise!

This week is the beginning of the end, our last full week in Berkeley. We leave June 23 for LA, and fly to Israel on July 1. Our week is already jam-packed and I don't know how we'll get through it, but we will. I'm certain things will work out.

Walking through Berkeley the past few weeks, I've observed just how tremendous a place it is. There is something enchanting about Berkeley; I've always seen it, but my impending move has made me experience it in a different way. The energy is palpable, the greenery is lush, the placement across from the Golden Gate Bridge is inspiring, and the city itself is a magical place.

Thinking back to summer 2006, Adam and I had just graduated from our respective colleges and decided to move in together. A part of my wondered if San Francisco was a better place for a young couple such as ourselves; he was completely against the idea of moving to the city. Thankfully, we stayed on this side of the Bay.

After an agonizing and hair-raising search, we found this cozy apartment in a salmon-colored building on the beautiful Bonita Rose. We signed the lease and celebrated with Italian food. In August we moved in, bringing dozens of boxes with us. We built an entire repertoire of furniture from Craigslist. We built a life together, invited friends over for home-cooked meals, snuggled up to one another in the winter, opened the windows in the summer, and kept the place (reasonably) clean.

This apartment has been host to celebrations and defeats, pain and triumph, friends and family. Its walls have kept us safe for two years. And now that we're packing it all up and leaving the city that we love, there's a tremendous feeling of loss and sadness. I know I've blogged about this before, but it is really heartbreaking to leave a place you call home; no matter what that place is.

Well it's back to the trenches for me. Enjoy this priceless pic of the whole family at Andrew's graduation!

Love, J


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great thoughts...great picture...we love you both.