Saturday, January 24, 2009

On being home...

My two-week visit home was wonderful, strange, delicious, love-filled, and altogether very, very necessary. I got to see some really great people, eat well, see a movie or two, cuddle, laugh, dance, play, and sleep. I also felt like I was rediscovering Los Angeles, doing things and visiting places I've either never seen, or haven't been to in years. It made me incredibly excited to return there permanently for the rest of my graduate school experience. 

The sunshine colored my already full days and made me deeply appreciate my Southern California roots. From the moment I landed in Los Angeles, the weather was as beautiful and warm as one could ever crave. Eighty degrees and sunny every day. Not a cloud in the sky. It warmed me up and helped me relax after a long semester, long week of finals, and tremendously long journey back to L.A. 

As I previously wrote, being with Adam was so wonderful. The last time we were together, he was being whisked away in a sheirut toward Ben Gurion Airport and I stayed a hysterical, sobbing mess at the intersection of Ramban and Holy Shit. So, being together again was both totally awesome and weirdly familiar. Thankfully, we won't have to wait four more months to see each other again; we'll meet in Paris for his birthday, spring break, and our six year anniversary in March! 

My family welcomed me with open arms, providing me with free laundry, delicious food, and bacon as far as the eye could see. They indulged my cravings and took me almost everywhere I wanted to go. Mom and I spent a great deal of time and money shopping, though I must say the economic downturn has resulted in really poor merchandise at these malls. I was not that impressed. But as for Target, well ...  Tar-jay was awesome. 

Despite the piss-poor mall situation, we did some other incredible things. From dinners with old friends to Shabbat to visiting the incredibly gorgeous town of Santa Barbara, it was indeed a full two weeks. 

The view of the Pacific from the Getty Museum 

On Saturday, mom, Andrew, and myself went to the Getty, merely a stone's throw from our house. While the museum has nothing really to boast about in terms of art, the view from the top of the hill is absolutely stunning. You can see all of Los Angeles from the Museum, and on a clear day like that, it was inspirational. 

Adam and me with Ryan B

Adam, mom, and I participated in Thursday Night Dinner at the Bernet's. Ryan is one of my oldest friends; we've known each other since first grade. Ryan introduced me to Adam, and for that I will always be grateful! His mother Dorothy made us a delicious dinner; the food was great, and the company even better. 

With EmKap!

On Friday night, mom hosted a group of our oldest friends for Shabbat dinner. She made brisket (delicious) and provided us all the opportunity to catch up. And Emily, one of my closest friends from college (and my little sis from the sorority) came down from Davis and surprised me! It was wonderful. 

The whole mishpucha at Sunday brunch

One Sunday, we hosted my Aunt Carrie and Uncle Joel, cousin Neil and his wife Rachel, Uncle Peter, and my second-cousin-in-some-way-removed Ari, who goes to USC. Even though it looks like I'm crushing my mother in the picture above, we had a great time and enjoyed ourselves immensely. 

First burrito in 6+ months! Hallelujah! 

I ate several burritos. 'Nuff said. 

The ever-gorgeous wine country of Santa Ynez Valley, just over the hill from SB 


Wine tasting... clearly, I'm not a fan of this one. 

Mom, dad, Adam and I spent one Sunday in Santa Barbara, wine tasting and just generally enjoying the beautiful weather. We found a really cool, off-the-beaten-path winery, called Koehler, (not to be confused with the toilet-making Kohlers) and ate a scrumptious dinner at Bouchon, a local and organic-emphasized restaurant downtown. Yum. 

Our 44th President 

Finally, the ultimate highlight was watching Barack Obama's inauguration. It was incredible, historic, moving, and so powerful. I'm so glad I was in the states to experience it. 

It's truly hard to comprehend that there's only four months left of my Israel adventure. As tough as it was to say goodbye to Adam, mom, dad, and L.A., I know I'll be back there permanently sooner than I could even imagine. And though a part of me is really anxious about starting a whole other semester, I'm also really, really looking forward to it. 

My seven-hour layover in Zurich is coming to a close. Thus, I must head off in search of my flight to Tel Aviv. Until next time, all my love. 

-Jaclyn

1 comment:

Empty Nesters said...

And we loved having you home. Enjoy your time with dad. xoxo