Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Quarter of a Century

Oh dear. It seems I've turned twenty five! 

Birthday bouquet delivery from my wonderful בן זוג

This past Saturday was indeed my twenty-fifth birthday. And it was an international occasion! February 7th was celebrated all over the world: in Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, and all different corners of the US! Facebook and Gmail served as the great uniters; I felt the love from so many, and from so many different places. It really made the celebration complete. 

I had the most incredible, love-filled weekend with my girlfriends. Eight of us headed down to Tel Aviv for some fabulous weather, great food, culture, and quality time. Though it was kind of hard to be separated from Adam and my family, I had a really fantastic time with the women who have become my support system and confidants here in Israel. We explored, we ate, we drank, we were merry. It was grand. 

The reality of turning a quarter of a century hasn't entirely hit me yet. I feel like ever since my 22nd birthday, they've just kept rolling in, one after another. But twenty five sounds old, and kind of surreal. I haven't settled into it just yet. However, I believe many wonderful things will happen this year, some of them planned and some not! I feel good about this upcoming year of my life; I feel happy and excited to be exactly where I think I should be, fulfilling a dream and following an incredible path. And I really do feel so very loved and supported, and that makes all the difference.

Our little getaway was awesome. The greatest thing about getting out of Jerusalem for a weekend is... well, getting out of Jerusalem! Tel Aviv is so liberating; it's open and free, bustling and beautiful. The minute you get down the hill, the tension just seems to lift from your body. It's awesome. There's so much going on in the city, even though most of it shuts down for Shabbat. It's a real place, and a real representation of Israeli culture and society. I love going there. I love being there. And mostly, I love going and being there with good people. 

Here are some highlights from our little vacay: 

W/RVT on ha'sheirut to T.A. 
(we're big on abbreviations) 


Israel's national election is this Tuesday, the 10th. The country has been inundated by political campaign propaganda. Above is a picture of Benjamin Netanyahu, former Prime Minister of Israel and head of the Likud Party. We once worked out together at the David Citadel gym. 

This is Tzipi Livni. We like Tzipi. Especially Lisa, who tried to kiss her. 

This is the American Embassy. It was directly across the street from our hotel, which would have been convienient in case I (Has v'halilah!) lost my passport. 


Friday night we had a fantastic dinner in a beautiful place called Nana, in a beautiful neighborhood called Neve Tzedek; kind of like the SoHo of Tel Aviv. (and previously unexplored by yours truly) 

We saw a modern ballet production set to "Carmina Burana" at the famous Suzanne Dallal Center in Neve Tzedek. It was fabulous! 

Saturday began with a long, leisurely brunch on the Namal, the Tel Aviv port.

Post-brunch Mimosa-hazed cuddling at Gilly's on the Namal
(with Leah, Lisa, Leslie, and Lauren... I only associate with L's)

Back to Jerusalem for an intimate gathering at 37 Ramban 
(with Mer and Lisa) 

Jimmy and I sniff the Adam-sent flowers

With Benjy and Leah, a pair of favorites 

With Jillian, RVT, and Rachel M at the 37 Ramban m'sibah. 

So there you have it. A birthday in a blogpost. I hope you enjoyed the pictorals; I certainly enjoyed making the memories. 

For now, take good care. Have a great week. Catch you on the flip side. 

With love, 
the Birthday Girl

3 comments:

Empty Nesters said...

wish we could have been there to celebrate with you; you looked so happy with your friends it gave MommyFro nachas. Love you!

Daniel said...

She wasn't the only one with nachas. Glad you had a fantastic birthday -- one of many, many more. I have a feeling this year will be big for us all. Stay safe and I'll see you soon! Love,
Danny

part-time punk said...

Was there a danger of you losing your passport? Really? Was that a real concern this trip? Cause if it was, you really shouldn't travel with that group again.