Friday, August 29, 2008

History and Religion and Politics... oh my!

On Tuesday we HUCsters reached the end of our summer Ulpan. After six long weeks, it was quite thrilling to say "l'hitraot" to my teacher. I actually quite enjoyed the experience of Ulpan, and found it a great way to begin our year in Israel. There wasn't a tremendous amount of pressure, the assignments were easy, and it was fun to get acquainted with my peers in such a low-stress environment. But I realized halfway through that my teacher's funny antics and lack of structure were hindering us from learning. I definitely didn't improve my Hebrew as much as I could have, and blame the summer heat for my lack of personal motivation. Thus, when Tuesday rolled around I was plenty glad to bid farewell.

Our ten-day vacation began with a tiyul up north, to Megiddo and Carmel, for our "History of the Bible" seminar. Before I lambast the class, let me say, I think the seminar has enormous potential. There is so much to be learned, and I believe we all have the desire to learn it. But the class is taught poorly, we march around on these tiyulim in sweltering heat and none of us can focus, the professors don't connect us with the material as I believe they can, and its status as a "pilot program" convinces me they haven't thought it through very well. It's disappointing, because there exists such wonderful opportunity for doing more than get tan and take cute pictures:

Adam and me make like our ancestors at the Carmel Caves

Lisa B (rabbi-to-be), me, and Leslie (future cantor) in the cave

The nice thing about our tiyullim is, they end with a trip to the beach. It's always so necessary to plunge into those warm waters of the Mediterranean. It has gotten so incredibly hot here in Israel (even hotter than July, when we first arrived) and when you're walking around all day, sweating like crazy and feeling like crap, it really is a wonderful treat to jump into the sea.

So, here I am, looking ahead to five days in Istanbul (we can't wait!) and a chance to breathe and mentally prepare for my fall semester. I am truly looking forward to starting my hardcore classes, like History and Liturgy and Rabbinics. I really feel more and more each day like this is what I was meant to do, and where I was meant to be. Even while disappointed with my summer classes, I still feel confident, excited, and optomistic about the future.

Speaking of optimism, I spent most of the morning watching YouTube videos of the DNC speeches. Today I caught Michelle, Hillary, and Barack. Hillary's speech moved me to tears, and Barack's sent shivers down my spine. It's hard to explain the immense feeling of patriotism I felt while listening to their words and perceiving each of their fervent desires to bring forth tremendous change. Being so far from my homeland, in a country that does not, and probably will never, feel like home, added to the impact of their words.

I miss America. I miss my home. I miss my family and California and the people who make up the wonderful life I lead. I feel honored and privileged to call America my home, especially while here in Israel. It's not that I have anything personal against this country; I certainly don't. But it's streets and trees and valleys are not mine; they are Israel's. The government belongs to its people; Israelis who live and work and raise their children here. Its soldiers fight for the future and perpetuation of the Jewish state, and to them I will always hold immense respect. But this is not my country, and this is not my home.

I believe so strongly in the words spoken by those at the Convention, not because I am a Democrat, and not because of my feelings regarding our current US government. I believe in these words because they encourage every human being to believe in their potential. I wholly support the inspirational message that every man, woman, and child can achieve great things if they set their mind to it. I cannot think of a more positive message to send to America, and to the rest of the world: believe in yourselves, and anything is possible.

Perhaps it was no coincidence that, just a few hours before watching these videos, Adam and I were working out at the gym alongside Benjamin Netanyahu, the former Prime Minister of Israel. (And future PM too, according to our trainer Ido) It was completely exciting, and he's looking good for 58. I couldn't help but stare at him and wonder, what has this man been through? What secrets is he privy to? How much of an impact did he have on Israel, and on world politics? To see him running on a treadmill in workout clothes reminded me that he is, just like all politicians and celebrities, just a human being like the rest of us.

Adam's return to the states is coming up soon, and I am not the only one dreading it. My classmates have fallen in love with him, and many of them have mentioned how sad they will be when he leaves. Having him here has been a truly beautiful experience. Seeing Israel through his eyes, perceiving my future here with him by my side, has been flat-out amazing. I will miss him greatly, but know he is off to begin a wonderful journey at UCLA.

Us at the Jerusalem Time Elevator, which you can read all about here.

The end of the summer always poses its own questions about the passing of time, people growing older, and good things coming to an end. The Yamim Nora'im, (High Holidays) are around the corner. Another season is ready to begin. Students will return to classes, families will come back from vacation, and people will begin their next cycles together. May it be a wonderful cycle for each of you, a year filled with promise, excitement, new adventures, and tremendous positive change for our countries and our worlds.

With love,
Jaclyn




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing with such wonderful and moving prose. You are already sounding like a rabbi...

We miss you and love you.

Dad

carol niren said...

Your thoughts are written beautifully. I look forward to your insight and creative perceptiveness on your wonderful experiences in Israel. Your style is quite distinctive...you are certainly on your way to becoming an exceptional rabbi. Looking forward to meeting you in person in December! Carol Niren (Leslie's mom)